You can import tasks and configurations of a bot into a new or existing bot using one of these import types:
- Full import: Replaces the existing bot with the imported bot configurations. Any additional configurations in the target bot will get deleted.
Note: We strongly recommend you to exercise caution and take a backup of the target bot before importing a bot using this option.
- Incremental import: Upgrades the current bot with the configurations available in the import file. Any additional configurations available in the target or imported bot are retained. You can select specific bot components to import from the bot tasks, NLP data, and bot settings. Refer to the Bot Items in Incremental Import table at the end of the article to learn how the imported bot items replace the target bot’s items in incremental import.
Before you Begin
The config.json file consists of bot variables that need values for the target bot. Share the file with the relevant developers or enter suitable values yourself for the variables before importing the bot definition in to a new bot.
Importing to an Existing Bot
To import a bot, follow these steps:
- Open the bot you want to export and on left navigation menu select Settings > Bot Management.
- Click Import Bot.
- Click the CHOOSE FILE buttons next to the BOT DEFINITION FILE field and BOT CONFIG FILE field, and upload the botDefinition.json and config.json files respectively.
- Optionally, upload the custom script file from the imported bot if any.
- Select one of these import options: Full Import or Incremental Import. If you select Incremental import, you can also choose which bot items to import.
- On the confirmation dialog that opens, click Backup to download the existing bot configuration.
Note: While backing up is an optional choice, we strongly recommend you to do so, especially when choosing Full Import, as you cannot recover the bot configurations after the imported bot replaces them.
- Click Proceed to start the import.
- After the import is completed, the following success message appears. Click Done.
Creating a New Bot Using the Import Option
To import a bot while creating it, follow these steps:
- On the top-right side of the Bot Builder homepage, click New Bot > Import a Bot.
- Enter a Name, Target Audience, and Color for the Bot. Refer to Create a New Bot to learn more.
- Click the CHOOSE FILE buttons next to the BOT DEFINITION FILE field and BOT CONFIG FILE field and upload the botDefinition.json and config.json files respectively.
- Optionally, upload a Custom Script file from the source bot if any and click Import.
- On the success message after the end of importing, click Done to proceed to the Bot Tasks page.
Bot Items in Incremental Import
|Tasks with the same Reference ID||Imported tasks replace the tasks in the target bot and their status changes to Configured, regardless of their current status (including Suspended and Rejected tasks).|
|Tasks in the source bot with a different Reference ID||These tasks are created in the target bot with the same Reference ID.|
|Tasks in the target bot with a different Reference ID||These tasks stay intact.|
|Utterances, Patterns, and Task-level Synonyms||Imported utterances, patterns, and task-level synonyms replace the ones in the target bot and apply to the imported tasks. Published models in the target bot stay intact.|
|Knowledge Graph, Bot Synonyms and Standard Responses||Existing knowledge graph, bot synonyms, and standard responses in the target bot are replaced with the imported ones.|